Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Herb Class

Tonight I attended a class on how to plant/grow/care for herbs.  Donna T. taught the class, so needless to say that it ROCKED!  Donna is such a great teacher and she has a passion for growing things, it got all of us motivated to go plant something.

Sister Robinson, in my parent's ward, brought a house plant that was turning yellow and wanted Donna's help to repot it and break-up some of the plants.  She told the most amazing story about this plant.  Growing up her mom always had this plant and when her mom passed it on she told her that this plant was really her grandmothers.  Well, Sister Robinson did some thinking and some math; she came up with the number 100.  This house plant is over a hundred years old.  I guess her grandma had it for a long time before she passed it to her daughter.  That is pretty darn cool.  That plant is over a 100 years old.

When Donna finishes repotting and breaking up the plant there are five pots of this plant now.  Sister Robinson turns to me and asks, "Would you like one?"

"I sure would," was my reply.

So now I am the proud new owner of a 100 year old house plant.  This is my VERY first house plant.

Let's see if I don't kill it!  How ironic would that be!?  If this plant, which has survived 100 years in three different households, dies in two weeks on my getting it.  Ugg.  That would be my luck.

Here is a pick of what my new/old plant could look like: Mother-In-Law Tongue

Mine is short and all yellow-greenish, but not for much longer!  If I can get this one little plant to stay alive then I will do an herb garden.  In a small pot mind you.

1 comment:

Mike + Mo said...

I Love house plants! Sara, I have complete faith in you that you won't kill it! That's a coolio lookin plant too! Have you named it yet? Its fun to say, hey have you watered Stevie..?

(er... not... I guess its just a silly idea...)