Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Do you have confidence?

My July Ensign came in the mail yesterday and as I was reading through it I came to the article on page 45, 'Sharing the Gospel with Confidence.'  Missionary work is something I try to do on a daily basis.  I have shared the gospel with one of my neighbors and now a new one moved in and I am trying to share it with them as well.  So, this article hit home for me.  I knew it would have something in there to help me further the Lord's work.  And it did!

How many times when you talk about the gospel with non-members to you curb your language in a way that suggests you are going to receive criticism?  Elder Ballard starts off this article by asking this question.

Pulling away from the article for a moment to consider this questions, I realized that this is exactly what I do.  I phrase my words in expectation of criticism.  What kind of tone does this set for the conversation in which I am going to share the gospel?  Not exactly a positive one, that's for sure.

Why is it that we as Latter-Day Saints feel the need to defend or justify what we believe in?  What do we have to justify or defend when we base our position on the teachings of the Son of God?

This really shed some Light on how I go about sharing the gospel.  (See how I capitalized light? =)  Light=Inspiration and Guidance from the Spirit)  Just two days ago I was able to have a conversation with my new neighbors about what religion I belong to.  Looking back at what and how I said it, I can see that I did couch my language in the expectation of criticism.  Talk about an eye opener!  I didn't even realize what I was doing!  I want the people I share the gospel with to see and feel that I have a strong testimony and faith in our gospel and that there is NOTHING TO DEFEND OR JUSTIFY because we base our position on the teaching of the Son of God.  There it is, end of story!  Right?

Almost.  I still need to learn how to engage in conversations about the gospel nondefensively.  Thankfully Elder Ballard give two suggestions on how to do just that.   Lol, this isn't a talk, so I wont outline the rest of the article here. =)

I need to have more confidence is what I am sharing with investigators.  Take a firm stand on issues and not back down, or "soften" what I believe in because they go against popular or worldly beliefs.

Elder Ballard said that "if we want to be respected today for who we are, then we need to act confidently--secure in the knowledge of who we are and what we stand for."

Anywho, the above is an 'Ah-ha' I had while reading this and just felt prompted to share it with you.  Please read the article, it really shed some Light on my life and how I can better further the Lord's work. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: