Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hello Darlin'!

Soooo, I just returned home from my neighbor's house.  Hilda called me at 7:30 panicked about something.  She asked for a huge favor and if I could come over right now.  I said sure, be right there.

With Kate on my hip, I went over and knocked on her door.  Hilda greets me and I see that she is stressed, nervous, and a little lost looking.  What is wrong, I ask.  My cat is hiding in the hall closet and wont let anyone near her and she is making lots of noise, I think she is giving birth, Hilda says.

At this point my mind is racing through all the information that I have about helping cats give birth and let me tell you it isn't much.  Now what do I do?  I don't feel comfortable enough with my limited knowledge to help her cat give birth, so I called my dad.

Dad to the rescue right?  Not so much this time, he said take it too the vet.  Not an option for Hilda, too much money.  The phone gets passed to my mom and I ask her to look up some general information on the subject for me.  I tell her, Get me the laymen version please and quick!

Now armed with a little more knowledge I go over and see what the cat is up to.  After clearing out all the usually stuff that lays at the bottom of a hall closet and getting it set up for the cat, I find the cat vigorously licking her private area.  A few moments later we hear a little squeak and see a tiny tail flop about.

Ugly little things.  Opps did I say that?  I mean cute little things. =)

The cat pushes out the second kitten and starts to clean it but stop and moves away from the kitten.  Oh no, I think, but then it moves just a little and I see that it still has the membrane covering its face.  It can't breath!  So I take the towel, careful not to touch the cat with my bare hands, I pick it up and gently wipe at its face to break the membrane open.  As soon as I do this the kitten starts to meow.  Greatly relieved I set the kitten back down by its mother and mom takes over from there.

I saved the kitten's life!  Go me!

There are three new kittens next door now!  And the momma is doing great!

For my list of things that I have done in my life I can now add "Cat Midwife" to the list. Ha Ha Ha.

If anyone is interested in a new kitten, please let me know!  Or if you know someone too!


April 8th: I just talked with Hilda and her cat had two more kittens after I left!  That brings the total up to five kittens now!

 

4 comments:

Mike + Mo said...

WOW....Crazy story! Its not everyday you get to Mid-wife to a cat...... good resume builder...

Devin said...

how fun! i'd be freakin' out but sounds like you did great!! good job sara!

Campbell Family said...

Me me! I want a Sara kitten!! Could I'm guessing since she just gave birth, that by the time I get down there, (end of mayish) they should be ready for me right?? Get some pictures!

Sara said...

Anna, Hilda said she would love to give one of her kittens to you! I will work on getting pictures to you.